My husband's Sunday School lesson this past Sunday really convicted me so I'm going to base today's word off his lesson. Just giving credit where credit is due, my love. :)
"Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desire you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" (I Peter 1:13-16, NIV)
HOLY - What comes to your mind when you think of the word Holy?
One of my favorite resources for definitions is Webster's 1828 Dictionary, so naturally, I had to take a look at its definition.
1. Properly, whole, entire or perfect, in a moral sense. Hence, pure in heart, temper or dispositions; free from sin and sinful affections. Applied to the Supreme Being, holy signifies perfectly pure, immaculate and complete in moral character; and man is more or less holy, as his heart is more or less sanctified, or purified from evil dispositions. We call a man holy,when his heart is conformed in some degree to the image of God, and his life is regulated by the divine precepts. Hence, holy is used as nearly synonymous with good, pious, godly.
Be ye holy; for I am holy. 1 pet.1.
2. Hallowed; consecrated or set apart to a sacred use, or to the service or worship of God; a sense frequent in Scripture; as the holy Sabbath holy oil; holy vessels; a holy nation; the holy temple; a holy priesthood.
3. Proceeding from pious principles,or directed to pious purposes; as holy zeal.
4. Perfectly just and good; as the holy law of God.
5. Sacred; as a holy witness.
Holy of holies, in Scripture, the innermost apartment of the Jewish tabernacle or temple, where the ark was kept,and where no person entered, except the high priest, once a year.
Holy Ghost, or Holy Spirit, the Divine Spirit; the third person in the Trinity; the sanctifier of souls.
Holy war, a war undertaken to rescue the holy land, the ancient Judea, from the infidels; a crusade; an expedition carried on by Christians against the Saracens in the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth centuries; a war carried on in a most unholy manner.
Are we living a life that is holy, consecrated and set apart?
God makes it sound so simple and easy, "be holy as I am holy".
Is it simple and easy? NO WAY! Just this morning, I was so stressed by the crazy morning we had that I didn't even take a moment to stop and talk with my heavenly Father and hand my worry off to Him.
Ok, friends, let's take an honest look at our lives, and consider again, are we striving to be holy or have we just stopped even thinking about it because it seems too hard?
How can I, the chief of sinners, be holy as He is holy? Certainly not by my own strength or power!
Andrew Murray made the following statement: "Nowhere can we get to know the holiness of God, and come under His influence and power, except in the inner chamber. It has been well: 'No man can expect to make progress in holiness who is not often and long alone with God.'"
Because of God's grace and the process of sanctification, I will strive to be holy, follow God, and spend time with Him through His word and prayer. My prayer is that as I grow closer to Him, His desires will become my desires, and that my life will be a sweet, holy fragrance for Him, pointing others to Him.
What is your prayer for your life right now? What are changes you can make to strive for holiness?
Leave comment, so that we may pray for one another and hold each other accountable!